To understand the concept of leadership, understand the qualities and skills a leader must have. Some of the biggest leaders in the world did not have leadership skills naturally in their personality. But they acquired them by taking all the necessary efforts and by understanding the basic principles. You may have some traits in you, but you have to nurture and sharpen them to become a leader in the true sense of the term. In the following paragraphs, you will find a list of leadership skills that may help you broaden your horizons about leadership.
List of Leadership Skills
This list contains only the most prominent attributes. There are many more skills that a leader may need, but the ones mentioned below are mandatory.
- The biggest asset of any business is manpower. A man's personality is judged by the company he keeps.
- The people around us are therefore, very important, and so are the relationships we share with them.
- A good leader can initiate and deepen relationships very easily. He likes to deal with issues that people face. He also likes to suggest solutions to those issues.
- In short a good leader is a 'people's person'. A related skill is that of persuasion. A leader should be capable of convincing and persuading people to his point of view.
- Communication Skills
- Counseling Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Mentoring Skills
- Persuasion Skills
- Convincing Skills
- The second most important skill required for effective leadership is that of building and coordinating teams. What is a leader without his team? Any good work is a result of good team work.
- But it is very difficult to lead the team; the job demands that you make the members work together and at the end of execution, make every individual feel that his contribution was important.
- Controlling Group Performance
- Setting an Example
- Conflict Management
- Listening Skills
- Dealing With Difficult People
Vision and Strategy
- Being strategic is the basic role of a leader. And his vision is followed by his followers.
- Thus, vision and strategy are the most important leadership qualities. Considering all the dimensions of problems, their future consequences and the solution for the same is what a leader has to do.
- A good leader has to take care of it all. He doesn't always have to come up with the solution, and he doesn't need to have 'ultimate wisdom'.
- His task is to consider everything and inspire his team to think in the right directions and try to come up with the solutions.
- Making decisions
- Planning Skills
- Ability to Give Influential Pep Talks
- Motivational Skills
- Sharing Leadership
- Decision-making is kind of a tricky skill. The leader has to ideally make a decision based on all the inputs from his team.
- But sometimes, he has to think about the greater good and make a decide something that is different from what most of his team wants.
- Therefore, he has to make the necessary decision and make the team feel like they have come to this conclusion together.
- Problem Solving
- Planning, and more importantly, getting everyone to stick to the plan and complete it is another important leadership skill.
- This skill demands the working of many other skills, like decision-making, vision and strategy etc, in harmony.
- The skill also involves the ability of the leader to modify the plan as and when required, without deviating too much from the original plan.
- Goal Setting
- Crisis Planning
- Setting priorities
- Devising Strategies
It takes a lot more than the above mentioned leadership skills to become a truly successful leader. Constant feedback and consistent working on self-improvement are ways in which you can ensure that you are on the right track.