The brain. The fastest computer on the planet. It is, without a doubt, the most awesome machine ever made. Just take for instance how quickly you react to a fly coming towards your eye. Instantly! Your brain sends a signal to the eye telling it to see the fly. Then the eye responds. The brain also tells your hand to lift itself up and swat the fly. You do the same. The fly is gone and you feel relieved, which is also a reaction sent to you by the brain. You took approximately 20 seconds to read the preceding text (which was also co-ordinated by the brain). But the actual happening of the above-mentioned action takes place in less than a second. Just goes to show how fast the brain functions. It is like an automated switchboard, constantly receiving and sending out signals that help us to carry out our daily activities with efficiency. And like other organs, we need to render constant upkeep and maintenance of our brain cells as well. Given below are ways on how you can do just that.
Physical Exercise: Everyone's constantly telling everyone that exercise should be an important part of their daily routine. It helps in keeping the body fit. Another benefit of daily physical exercise is that it keeps the brain active as well. It helps in increasing brain power and can also facilitate growth of new neurons in the brain. So set up an exercising schedule and stick to it.
Brain Exercise: Apart from physical exercise, you could also do with some brain exercises to improve its capabilities as well. Try out the following exercises for your brain and notice the difference.
- Use your wrong hand to do a daily activity like opening the cereal box or the milk carton.
- Have brainstorming sessions with colleagues and friends, on just about any topic.
- Have a debate about something.
- Enhance your memory by learning a new song or poem every week.
- Try mental math instead of reaching for the calculator.
- Identify your cycle of consciousness. Meaning, identify in which part during the day you are most awake and which part you are most 'un'awake. Once you identify this, you can function accordingly.
- Push your brain to remember things that you learned in the past. It could be something as simple as a person's name or last name. But don't use any aids. Remember it yourself, using only your brain.
Rest: Another important way to charge your brain cells is to make sure your body and mind, both, get the required rest. Meditation and yoga help to increase concentration and also have a calming and soothing effect on the mind and body. They also help to facilitate a good night's sleep. If you don't get enough rest, you won't have the strength to carry out your daily activities.
Diet: The importance of a well-balanced diet cannot be stressed enough. There are some foods that help to boost brain power, like chocolate, omega 3 essential fatty acids, nuts, fish, etc. And some sort of hinder them, like excessive consumption of dairy products. Keyword being 'excessive'. Avoid excessive alcohol consumption too. Ginkgo Biloba is a medicinal herb that helps to improve brain efficiency. A healthy intake of all essential nutrients is the key.
- Learn to play a musical instrument.
- Read something interesting daily.
- Take up a new hobby.
- Learn a new language.
- Write down the happenings of the day in a daily journal.
- Control health problems like diabetes, cholesterol, blood pressure, etc.
- Laugh heartily at least twice a day.
- Keep your stress under control. Stop fretting over mundane issues.
- Having sex at least once a week has been proven to rejuvenate the brain's functioning.
- Meet new people.
- Cry when you feel like it. Keeping negative emotions pent up is detrimental to the brain and crying helps to step up healthy circulation levels of the blood.