What is it about being able to laugh at yourself and the way you look at the world? It is said that if you're capable of laughing at yourself, there's nothing or no one that can make you feel less of yourself. But is being able to develop a sense a humor limited to it? Or does it in fact, mean that you should be cracking jokes at yourself and/or your surroundings at all times? Funny thing about humor is that apart from making other people laugh, you find an opportunity to get familiar with the people around you. Whether these people are strangers or a group of people you work with on a daily basis, your sense of humor can break the ice and even bring the element of approachability to the table.
Developing a sense of humor isn't just about being able to work in a friendly environment with your colleagues. Humor is built in each and everything we do in our lives. What matters the most is how we use it to our own advantage. Using humor around the people you're with, you make a great company and a good friend. No one, even you wouldn't like to stay around people who bring you down with their sob stories and not-so-pleasant attitude towards life. As it is, life is so short to be thinking and worrying of what could've been, or how things should turn out. Instead, we should concentrate more on how we can make our lives better and take in a direction where not only us, but others around us can also feel its sensation. And humor is one way to go about it. Which is why, this article gives you interesting suggestions on developing a sense of humor. Read on.
Acquire a Humorous Attitude
Laughter truly can be the best medicine for humankind because there simply isn't any time or energy left in us to be dwindling in the past or the upcoming future. In order to know how to be a happy and successful person (in your personal and professional life), humor can be the first step towards it.
- Not always, but at appropriate occasions, do some pranks or practice some puns. Also, there is no rule that says you can't try clichéd jokes to break the tension or bring in some giggles.
- There is humor hidden in many life's moments, so you use them in various settings. You can use anecdotes in a clever way that they can be related to everyday life.
- Keep in mind that humor is not supposed to be used to elaborate or exaggerate truths. Humor is not a means to tell lies to people just so they will like you more. Stick to the truth and you're good to go.
- Very rarely you will find a shy person having a great sense of (clever and witty) humor (although it can be possible in some cases). So speak up, be heard, and don't shy away from an interesting conversation that can be charged tenfold with your creative touch. Humor can be used as a way to improve your communication skills.
- A good way to learn the comic cues in a conversation is by watching intelligent comedy movies. There are many comedy movies that have funny punch lines and situations where a person has to think outside the box.
- If you have friends that you find funny, or have a good sense of humor, hangout with them more often. You never know what will inspire you to make a few comic remarks of your own.
- Don't be mean or rude to someone while you're cracking jokes or making someone laugh. Also, if and when someone is using you as a part of their jokes or puns, instead of getting offended, join them.
- Last, but certainly not the least, you have to be open to life; open to laughter. Keep things light and if you're taking things too seriously (when they're not so intense), learn to let go.
Before I end this article, I would like to ask you a question. Which are the top five qualities important to you in a man/woman? I bet when you answer this question, sense of humor will definitely be the first choice.