Like every other emotion, anger is also normal and healthy. An angry outburst relieves us from the stress of negative thoughts. However, such outbursts must not get frequent. You must not allow this emotion to get out of control. Apart from hurting others, anger can also cause immense stress and related health problems.
So, anger is an emotion that is closely related to stress. If you continue to suppress your anger, it will lead to stress. Unrelieved stress may result in angry outbursts. So, once you realize that you are getting angry very often, try to find some ways to control the emotion. This will help to spare others from your fury, and is also beneficial for your health.
Exercise and Anger Management
As mentioned above, stress and anger are closely related to each other. So, stress-relief exercises are also beneficial for controlling anger. In fact, our body releases certain hormones such as cortisol and adrenaline, when we are stressed. The same hormones are released when we get angry. High levels of cortisol and adrenaline are not good for the health.
Physical exercises are beneficial for reducing the elevated level of these hormones in the body. Apart from that, those who indulge in regular exercise have a good amount of feel-good hormones called endorphins. So, regular physical exercise is good for controlling anger. You may opt for walking, jogging, cycling, or any other form of exercise for this purpose.
Breathing Exercises: These exercises are ideal for relaxing yourselves. Deep breathing calms your nerves and controls anger. It is one of the best exercises, which can help a person who is trying to control stress and anger. In order to do deep breathing, sit or lie straight with your eyes closed. Inhale slowly and count numbers from 1 to 4. Feel the air inside your lungs and tightening of the stomach. Exhale slowly. Continue breathing till you feel calm and composed. Pranayama is one of the best anger control techniques.
Meditation: Meditating every day for at least 10 minutes can help you in the long run in controlling your rage. Like physical exercises, meditation is also beneficial for reducing the levels of cortisone and adrenaline in the body. It causes release of the feel-good hormone serotonin, which helps to keep anger and depression at bay. With regular meditation, you can achieve mastery of the mind, and prevent losing your temper.
Tips to Control Anger
- Having a bath is one of the best ways to melt your anger. So, when you feel utmost rage, take a bath (if possible) and get rid of the negative emotion.
- Whenever you feel angry, sip a glass of water slowly.
- Try to think about things that will distract your mind from the negative feelings. For example, you can think of some funny or cherished moment in your life.
- Anger can be controlled by going for a long drive to some peaceful and quiet place. Try to relax and meditate there.
- Friends can easily make you forget the anger. Try to be with your friends and forget all worries and irritation.
- Listen to your favorite music, and this is one the effective ways to alleviate your anger. Otherwise, watch your favorite movie; a comedy movie can help a lot.
- It is very important to have realistic expectations from life as well as from other people. You must never forget that nobody in this world is perfect and there are some flaws in every human being. Therefore, try to make a realistic judgment every time.
- You must try to be happy with whatever you have in life. Be satisfied and happiness will be yours, and you will be successful in combating anger.